ttmkfdir

I am trying to create an rpm for the MS truetype fonts.  I looked at the
XFree86 spec file and did various queries against the XFree96-truetype-fonts
binary rpm to make sure I was creating the correct %post and %postun files.
Before completing the build, I tried executing the mkfontdir correctly
creates the fonts.dir file but ttmkfdir just prints the word "Aborted".  I
tried both cd'ing to the directory with the fonts and passing nor command
line operands as will as specifying "-d" " -o" and the result is the same.
Executing ttmkfdir in an empty directory results in "0" being printed.

There appears to be no documentation for the ttmkfdir command, how/when it is
to be used, etc.

This is for Red Hat Linux 8.0.

Help!

Gene