Re: Understanding Bluecurve vs. KDE vs. GNOME

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Mike Chambers wrote:

>> I'm a bit new to Linux.  I understand that KDE and GNOME are different
>> Windows Managers.  Is Bluecurve also a Windows Manager?
>
>No, it's a theme that covers both KDE and Gnome AFAICT.

Correct, Bluecurve is basically a collection of artwork, and
tookit themes, which are the default themes in GNOME and KDE, as
well as XMMS and a few other apps et al.

>> The main focus of this question revolves around desktop themes.  Will a
>> desktop theme for KDE also work for Bluecurve?  GNOME?  Are all themes
>> interchangable?  If not, where can I find themes or informatin on
>> creating themes for Bluecurve?
>
>See above, Bluecurve is more or less a theme, not a window manager.
>
>Also, this list is more for xfree86 related things, like monitors, mouse
>(depending), and drivers and such.  Not all of X window related things.  Try
>the psyche-list for that stuff for more answers.

Correct, this mailing list is intended for XFree86 specific
things such as testing new video drivers, discussing video driver
problems, and other X drivers, XFree86 configuration issues, beta
testing new X releases and providing feedback, and similar
things.

It's not intended for GNOME/KDE help, or other high level GUI
related discussion, however the low volume of email currently on
the list doesn't make the odd offtopic thread that bad.

I hope everyone is using the new XFree86 CVS RPM's I made for Red
Hat Linux 8.0, and is enjoying the new translucent mouse cursors
with drop shadows.  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer