Re: Understanding Bluecurve vs. KDE vs. GNOME

Digant C Kasundra wrote:
> I'm a bit new to Linux.  I understand that KDE and GNOME are different
> Windows Managers.

KDE = K Desktop Environment.
GNOME = GNU Network Object Model Environment

Bothe are general desktop environments, like CDE (Common Desktop Env.)
from Solaris and HP-UX.

The window manager is one part of that. KDE uses kwin by default, but
others work with it. CDE uses dtwm. GNOME has had several, first was
Enlightenment, then Sawfish, now Metacity.

>  Is Bluecurve also a Windows Manager?

Bluecurve is a theme. Similar to XMMS/Winamp or Mozilla/Netscape skins,
or Windows(9x/ME/XP) themes.

Bluecurve is unique (so far) in that it includes GNOME, KDE, Metacity,
GTK+, and XMMS parts. It it also an icon theme, using Red Hat developed
icons.

> The main focus of this question revolves around desktop themes.  Will a
> desktop theme for KDE also work for Bluecurve?  GNOME?  Are all themes
> interchangable?  If not, where can I find themes or informatin on
> creating themes for Bluecurve?

See above. But, you can change the the themes, like replacing the
bulecurve XMMS skin with another, or a different GTK+ theme.

Themes generally only work for the component they are designed for. So a
GTK+ them won't change things in KDE, and a KDE theme won't affect GNOME
apps.

You can find themes/skins for lots of the parts at
http://themes.freshmeat.net Hopefully soon you will be able to find meta
thems, like bluecurve too, that affect most of the themable parts of the
system. Untill them, you have to piece theme together yourself. A lot of
  themes are written to look good with certain others, like LCARS (based
on Star Trek), which has Enlightenment, GTK+ (1.x), Sawfish, KDE, and
Mozilla parts, multiples of some.

	-Thomas