Re: font problem

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Bruce Park wrote:

>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:07:25 -0400
>From: Bruce Park <bpark79@hotmail.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: font problem
>
>Hello,
>
>I was wandering if anyone could help me out with this problem.
>If you take a look at my screen shot(please download photo) of the gnome rpm
>screen, you'll notice that in the names of these rpms the squares are
>replaced by a tiny square box. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
>I am currently running 7.3 and using the latest rpms. I am under athalon xp
>instead of intel pentium. Would this have anything to do with it? My
>suspicion is that something is wrong with the font system within x-windows.
>If anyone can help me out, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you.

A square box in place of a letter or other glyph means that the
character being displayed does not exist in the font that is
currently being used.  This is called the "default character".

Older versions of XFree86 would just display a "space" instead,
but this often hid bugs.  The current standard is to display the
default character, which is the box you see.

This can happen because of different reasons:

1) The font doesn't contain the character being displayed.

or

2) The application is displaying incorrect characters that do not
   happen to be available in the given font.

There are other potential reasons as well.  Generally, the
solution is to choose a font which contains the characters being
displayed, or in the case of it being an application bug, for the
app to get fixed.

Hope this helps,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer