i830 support?

I have a Dell i830-based laptop running Red Hat 7.3.  Things work
pretty well, except for the graphics which work only in 640x400.  I
understand that this is due to the stolen memory problem and
incomplete support for the chip in XFree86 4.2.0.

I also see that there's some support in the current CVS version of
XFree.  What I can't figure out is how to make use of it.  Is there
some relatively simple way to build updated XFree RPMs with the
updates to the driver included?  I tried the naive method (just
patching the changes in [...]xfree86/drivers/i810 but things didn't
build.

Is there a way to build just one driver so that I can copy it in?

Thanks,

 - J<