i830 support?

On 13 Aug 2002, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>I have a Dell i830-based laptop running Red Hat 7.3.  Things work
>pretty well, except for the graphics which work only in 640x400.  I
>understand that this is due to the stolen memory problem and
>incomplete support for the chip in XFree86 4.2.0.
>
>I also see that there's some support in the current CVS version of
>XFree.  What I can't figure out is how to make use of it.  Is there
>some relatively simple way to build updated XFree RPMs with the
>updates to the driver included?  I tried the naive method (just
>patching the changes in [...]xfree86/drivers/i810 but things didn't
>build.

If you've got a driver patch in diff format made between the
existing rpm source and the new version you wish to use, assuming
the new code is standalone, and does not require changes to other
parts of the server, then adding a patch to the XFree86.spec is
fairly simple.

Updating the entire XFree86 src.rpm to CVS however is
non-trivial.

>Is there a way to build just one driver so that I can copy it in?

Only if the driver still retains compatibility at the source
level with the existing X server.  Most XFree86 CVS driver code
currently uses the new PCI domains code, and would thus be
incompatible with 4.2.0.

To build any particular driver, go into it's source dir, and do:

xmkmf
make

That should build it.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,