Positioning icons on Gnome desktop

To use my Thinkpad with an XVGA projector yesterday, I had to make some
fairly radical changes to my X configuration. When I couldn't get the
ATI r128.o driver to display any resolutions below 1600x1200, I
substituted the VESA driver in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. That allowed me to
bring up X in 1024x768 mode.

Ever since I undid that bit of tinkering and returned to 1600x1200 mode,
I've been unable to position any desktop icons on the far right hand
side of the desktop. Indeed, there appears to be a 1024x768 virtual
window on my desktop (anchored in the upper left corner) beyond which I
cannot drag and drop any launcher icon. When I first tried to drag an
icon to the right hand edge of the desktop and release it, I was
startled to see it float right back to its starting position.

Can anyone tell me in what file desktop icon positioning information is
stored? And what causes that virtual barrier.

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL