Nice value of the X server

In the hopes of achieving more MS Windows like desktop responsiveness, I
thought I'd try the trick of bumping the priority of the X server. I've
heard the rationale is that windows bumps the priority of UI type stuff
in order to feel 'fast'.

Strangely enough, it seemed to work pretty well. My desktop does feel
more responsive. I've also heard the new pre-empt kernel patches do
wonders in conjunction with this, though I waiting on rawhide for those.

The default X server priority seems to be zero. I changed this to -20
via renice (seems to be a common value among people doing this trick).
Is there any way to do this elegantly on startup? Debian (via Xwrapper)
and Mandrake apparently either do it or provide a simple way of changing
it.

I don't mind slinging some shell script code to figure out the PID and
renice it, but if there was a better way, I'm all ears. Also, if anyone
can think of a good reason 'not' to do this, I'd be interested in that
as well. This is a generic workstation, not a server.

--Chris

--
Christopher Keller
Systems Engineer