Nice value of the X server

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>>Again, you're desiging a generic solution for a problem that doesn't
>>exist, at least in my world. The computer in question is not a
>>multi-user server, there is only one (and ever one) X process. The pidof
>>command will work perfectly every time.
>
>Why is there only ever one X process?

You can run multiple X servers simultaneously depending on your
hardware.  There's only one X process per display however.

>There are at least 2. One for GDM where you login
>(at runlevel 5) , it dies, and the one for your Xsession
>where you do some work starts. When you logout that
>process dies and a new X is started for GDM again

Those wouldn't be simultaneous though.

>GDM can be replaced by XDM or KDM too.
>
>Create a suid script top renice the current X process.
>The run it in your login scripts.
>pidof should be fine for this.

SUID scripts are not possible in Linux.  The SUID bit is ignored
on all scripts.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,