Nice value of the X server

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 10:08:10AM -0700, Christopher Keller wrote:

>  The linux kernel uses an incremental approach to generating process
> ID's, or PID's as we know and love them.

> In order for a
> duplicate or earlier PID to generated/assigned the kernel would have to
> [quickly] cycle through all avaiable PID's in order to loop back around.

Why "quickly"?  I have seen many times PID counter to wrap around
without really trying.  There are only 15 bits for that number.

> Seeing as how we are talking about re-assigning the PID nicety shortly
> after the X server is started, the possiblity of the kernel looping
> through all avaiable PID's to actually choose a lower PID is pretty
> high. Could you break this?

Yes, no problem.  Without any sweat.

> Crap shoot? Hardly.

Well, as far as a good sysadmin practice is concerned there is
really no more polite way to call that.

You just refuted your own claims.  There is no point to use broken
hacks; especially when a correct way to do that is simpler even if
'pidof' is not available.

> Your point about multiple X-servers is a good one, however as I
> mentioned this is just a plain old desktop.

On a "plain old desktop" in my home my wife and my son are using the
same machine (I usually hack on something else :-).  They like their
desktops in a totally different way in many details.  So the second
person which showed up after X was restarted for whatever reasons
fires up, from a text console, the second server on a display ":1"
and now you can trivially switch between these desktops usually by
going from a console 7 to 8 and back.  This still does not include
those clients which may come over a network with a display somewhere
else - which happens quite regularly.  This IS a multiuser operating
system.

  Michal