Nice value of the X server

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 03:45:08PM -0700, Christopher Keller wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Actually I went ahead and stuck the following line in rc.local
>
> /usr/bin/renice -10 -p `/bin/ps -elf | /bin/grep /etc/X11/X | /bin/awk
> '{print $4}' | /usr/bin/head -1`

Er.... actually something like "renice -10 -p $(pidof X)" will be
simpler and even correct.  Not mentioning those details that with the
above you can pick your 'grep' process and using grep in order to pipe
to awk is not really the way to do things; head is also superfluous
as awk can do that just by itself (and you still have no idea in
which order processes will be listed).

The only thing is that you have to wait with this until your X server
process is actually started.  If you are using 'gdm' then you can
stick that into your "BackgroundProgram" (see /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf).
With other startup methods some other device of that sort will need
to be used.  'rc.local' can turn out to be tad too early.

   Michal