Xfree86 and screen problems with LCD and neomagic 256

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

Hi,
I have a laptop, with a neomagic 256 and an LCD display, redhat 7.2 with
XFree86-4.1.0-3.
After some time, X freeze, and the keyboard is also dead. However linux is
still up, and it is possible to login remotely, for example with ssh, and kill
any process, and reboot or halt. When I reboot, as soon as the computer goes in
graphical mode, the same thing happen, this time with a black screen (keyboard
does not respond). I can still log in remotely. If I halt, then everything is
good.

This problem doesn't show up under windows, but I still suspect a hardware
problem. Is it possible to check hardware integrity with XFree86 ? Or have
generate logs which give some insights in the problem ?

Here is the command used to launch X:
/usr/bin/X11/X -nolisten tcp -logverbose 10

I attach the XF86config-4 file

Pat

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

# XFree86 4.0 configuration generated by Xconfigurator

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

# By default, Red Hat Linux 6.0 and later use xfs

Section "Files"
	FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

# Module loading section

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"		# Double-buffering
	Load  "GLcore"		# OpenGL support
	Load  "dri"		# Direct rendering infrastructure
	Load  "glx"		# OpenGL X protocol interface
	Load  "extmod"		# Misc. required extensions
	Load  "v4l"		# Video4Linux
	# Load  "pex5"		# PHIGS for X 3D environment (obsolete)
	# Load  "record"	# X event recorder
	# Load  "xie"		# X Image Extension (obsolete)
	# You only need the following two modules if you do not use xfs.
	# Load  "freetype"	 # TrueType font handler
	# Load  "type1"		# Adobe Type 1 font handler
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option      "XkbLayout"	"fr"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
	Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Generic Laptop Display Panel 1024x768"
	VendorName "Unknown"
	ModelName  "Unknown"
	HorizSync 31.5-48.5
	VertRefresh 60
	Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Neomagic Corporation|NM2360 [MagicMedia "
	Driver "neomagic"
	BoardName "NM2200"
#   Option     "Rotate"
#   Option     "pciBurst"
#   Option     "ShadowFB"
#   Option     "NoStretch"
#   Option     "LcdCenter"
    Option     "externDisp"
    Option     "internDisp"
#   Option     "noMMIO"
#   Option     "SWcursor"
#   Option     "NoAccel"
#   Option     "NoLinear"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Linux Frame Buffer"
	Driver "fbdev"
	BoardName "Unknown"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device "Neomagic Corporation|NM2360 [MagicMedia "
	Monitor "Generic Laptop Display Panel 1024x768"
	DefaultDepth 16
	Subsection "Display"
		Depth 16
		Modes "1024x768"