Config Assist Request: Red Hat 7.2 on a Compaq Presario 2715Laptop

I cannot get X configured on this laptop.  Xconfigurator hangs and manual configuration attempts to date have failed.

The specs say this thing has an ATI Radeon M6 graphics interface.  An identical laptop running WinDoze XP says the screen can go up to 1600 x 1200 x 32 bits deep at refresh rates from 60 to 120 Hz
                                                               Dan White
"Sometimes  I  think  the  surest  sign  that  intelligent  life exists
 elsewhere  in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
                                                 Calvin (Bill Watterson)