Xconfigurator Video Card Probe

I have a friend (GUI Guy who wouldn't want to deal with XF86Config) who
added a Compaq "Remote Insight Board" to a Pentium running RH 7.2.  This
board allows external access to the machine including BIOS and bootup.  He
wanted to decrease the display resolution, so the remote display updates
wouldn't be so slow.

The display on the machine is a Dell Monitor and a Matrox Millennium II
video card.  I suggested he could change the available video modes
using Xconfigurator.  When he tried this, Xconfigurator detected a PCI
ATI somethingorother video card, said there was no driver installed for
it and quit.  The ATI chip is on the remote interface board, and although
everything is working OK, Xconfigurator detects the wrong chip.  The
monitor attached to the machine runs off the Matrox card and the ATI
part is used only by the remote access card.

The FAQ in the "Getting Started Guide" (Chap 13) says you can avoid probing
the video card and answer "no" when asked if you want to accept the
settings on the Monitor Probe screen, but you never reach that point!
Is there some way to get to the "select video modes" screen without
having Xconfigurator probe the video card.  Note that the video card is
set up OK in XF86Config -- he just wants to change the selection of modes.

Would one of the other X setup things work better?  As I recall, there
are several of these (xf86config, XF86Setup and maybe a couple others
that I've forgotten).

Is there a "standard" way to deal with "extra" video controller responses
other than pulling out the "extra" video card while configuring or
reconfiguring X11?

--
        pete peterson
        Teradyne, Inc.

        pete.peterson@teradyne.com or petersonp@genrad.com
        +1-978-589-7478 (Teradyne); +1-978-589-2088 (Closest FAX);
        +1-978-589-7007 (Main Teradyne Westford FAX)