Fwd: Quake3 question

This msg was originally posted to the enigma list. It was suggested that I post
it here instead. I've already checked /var/log/XFree86.0.log and it confirms DRI
is being successfully loaded.
----------------------------------

This is probaby a question for an XFree86 expert who's also a gamer.  (Mike
Harris, maybe?)

Should I be able to run Quake3 on an up2date RH72 system (2.4.17-0.1 kernel,
XFree86 4.1.0-12) using an ATI Rage Mobility 128 M3 AGP/2 video chipset?  A
friend of mine says, "Not if glxinfo reports 'direct rendering: No'".

/usr/local/games/quake3/README says "Linux Quake III Arena will work with any
100% OpenGL compliant 3D video card that has a sufficient fill rate and a fast
Linux driver."  It goes on to say "The XFree86 DRI pre-release is not yet
supported." I purchased this package at Fry's long before I bought the system I
just installed it on, so I don't know if the README is still current.

I've scanned the stuff on dri.sourceforge.net, and I'll admit I'm a bit
overwhelmed. How big a meal have I sat down to?

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL

This message was sent from Peaknet, Inc.
http://www.peaknet.net/