LSI 320 RAID cards with RedHat 8 and 9 install isos

I've been going through the process described in this thread:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/rh-devel/msg01393.html

to add support for the LSI 320 cards to the install isos. One specific thing I'm trying to do is hack the original iso so that it has an updated hwdata rpm and stage2 image without having to do a buildinstall. Basically, I'm trying to get things so that I don't have to make isos 2 and 3 and just be able to use the original ones. buildinstall seems to mess this up. Anyway, the process of rebuilding the hwdata rpm (without changing the version) and overwriting the default one works fine with Red Hat 9. However, when I follow the same process for Red Hat 8 the install fails with an error something like "error installing package hwdata, this usually indicates a media error, full disk, blah blah blah". Nothing of interest shows up in any of the installer logs. I rebuilt this rpm on a Red Hat 8 system so that's not an issue. I'm wondering if there's something in hdlist or otherwise that would be messing this up... and, if so, why would the same process work in Red Hat 9 but not in 8? Thanks for your help guys. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to use my own disc 2 and 3 isos but would be less than ideal and I'm interested in knowing why this doesn't work.

-Aaron