Re: ppc64

Balint Cristian (rezso@xxxxxxxx) said:
> _ALL_ ppc rawhide now are 32 bit except kernel and glibc64 (the 64bit version
> of glibc).I think (maybe i am wrong) redhat killed ppc64 tree the 64 bit
> version of rawhide because of idea that on real 64 bit machines only kernel
> is running 64 bit mode the userland is 32 bit just like sparc64 was once upon
> a time just like x86_64 is right now, its faster way to run your system dont
> ask me why the idea to run in that way is more older ...

The ppc64 stuff is generally targeted at things like IBM's iSeries
and pSeries server hardware. In many cases, 64-bit binaries may
not be appreciably faster, but they will be able to take advantage
of larger address spaces.

x86_64 is not necessarily slower in 64-bit mode, however, due to
more registers being available for use.

Bill