Network bandwitdth

I have a quick question that I havent been able to figure out.  We are
on a fiber connection to the internet which gives us about 3Mbps. We
have a windows 2000 server that has been used as a gateway and is able
to take full use of the bandwidth.  When I try to use a redhat 9 box
with masquerading my bandwidth maxes out at about 1.5.  Is there a
limitation or something that im seeing or some setting that can be
changed?