Re: ppc64

On Sunday 08 June 2003 14:22, ncjeffgus@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 ncjeffgus@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > 	It's an iBook.  Rawhide has amazingly worked pretty well on this
> > > iBook. :)

And it work well !!

> 	You are restating my point.  I wanted to make sure rawhide didn't
> get ppc64 packages by accident, thus my question.  Currently the telnet
> ppc.rpm is genereating a Illegal instruction error.  As far as I can tell

A asure you too from my ibook:

[root@xxxxx FILMS]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 56 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 299MHz
revision        : 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
bogomips        : 598.01
machine         : PowerBook2,1
motherboard     : PowerBook2,1 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as     : 64 (iBook (first generation))
pmac flags      : 00000001
L2 cache        : 512K unified
memory          : 160MB
pmac-generation : NewWorld
[root@xxxxx FILMS]# rpm -qa | grep telnet
telnet-0.17-26.1
[root@xxxxx FILMS]# rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-kernheaders-2.4-8.17
glibc-common-2.3.2-48
glibc-devel-2.3.2-48
glibc-2.3.2-48
[root@xxxxx FILMS]# telnet rezso.rdsor.ro 22
Trying 212.93.155.178...
telnet: connect to address 212.93.155.178: Connection refused
[root@xxxxx FILMS]# telnet ftp.redhat.com 21
Trying 66.187.232.51...
Connected to ftp.redhat.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 Red Hat FTP server ready. All transfers are logged. (FTP)
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

> though (with the file command), it is merely a 32-bit program and so are
> the libraries.  I guess it's some other bug that was introduced.
> 	mod_webapp is also having trouble.

I think you missed something ?belive me i have _NO_ problems on my ibook.

_ALL_ ppc rawhide now are 32 bit except kernel and glibc64 (the 64bit version
of glibc).I think (maybe i am wrong) redhat killed ppc64 tree the 64 bit
version of rawhide because of idea that on real 64 bit machines only kernel
is running 64 bit mode the userland is 32 bit just like sparc64 was once upon
a time just like x86_64 is right now, its faster way to run your system dont
ask me why the idea to run in that way is more older ...

So in futere i think you will never see ppc64 anymore only glibc64 and kernel
in 64 bit.