Re: GTK+ or QT ???

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, sameer jha wrote:

> Hi All!!
>
> Well which one is better from an impartial point of view GTK or QT for
> desktop app devlopment??

What programming language do you prefer? While Gnome is written in C and
KDE in C++, there are bindings in each for the other.

Which environment do you prefer to use on your desktop? KDE? Gnome?

> Which is more popular in the developer community.

I don't think _I_ would use QT. More likely, KDE, which is built on QT.
For me, the choice would be between Gnome and KDE. Both are popular,
both are here for the foreseable future, so I don't think that matters a
lot.

My own bias favours KDE over Gnome because
.  I believe C++ a better programming language for this kind of work
than C. It does more to help programmers avoid silly errors such as
buffer overruns.

.  I find KDE more stable than Gnome.

.  I find myself using KDE applications, mostly, rather than their Gnome
equivalents.

.  I think the recent move in Gnome to this button order in dialogues
  <help> ..... <ok>
   defeats one of the goals espoused in the Gnome standards/guidelines of
making UIs consistent and easy to use. Older Gnome, KDE, OS/2 and
Windows has "ok" or equivalent on the viewer's left.

Back at the time of RHL 5.1-6.x I expected evenually to prefer Gnome
over KDE. I've used both regularly since, and now I'm about ready to
"rpm --erase"  gnome.

However, don't follow my path unless it's also right for you;-)

> Waiting in anticipation
> Sameer

> Cricket World Cup 2003- News, Views and Match Reports.
> http://server1.msn.co.in/msnspecials/worldcup03/

 I've had a look at the coverage in the Hindu Times and Frontier Times
(I won't guarantee either name is correct, but I'm sure you will
recognise the papers I mean) websites, and it's very interesting. The
style of the reportage, not so much the POV.

--
Please, reply only to the list.