Re: rpm usage was:(no subject)

    >On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, wo shi ni baba wrote:
    >>
    > > hi folks,
    > >
    > > I am running redhat 8.0 on an intel machine, I installed an
    application by using rpm -i prog.rpm, but when I tried to remove
    it by rpm -e prog.rpm, it couldn't remove it, so I removed the
    program files manually. However, when I tried to install prog.rpm
    again, it says the package is already installed. what should I do
    to in! stall the prog.rpm??

1) include a subject in the future

2) post to appropriate lists, like <dist>-list instead of devel

3) the name for removal is the name in the database, not the package filename. The file name includes version info, architecture info, and the rpm extension. So after installing foo.x.y-z.arch.rpm you usually use just foo for other rpm operations, like removal, verify, or queries. Sometimes you also use the x.y-z version nujmbers if you have more than one version installed. This happens a lot with the kernel packages.

4) Be carefull of the --force option. If you want to reinstall a package that was corrupted, try --replacepkgs instead, since that's what it's designed for. It's also much safer.

-Thomas