Re: kernel-headers rpm ?

> Oh yeah here's one for joe-user.  You want to upgrade you PII/K62 system
> to a P4/Athlon. So you buy a CPU and mother board, maybe new memory if
> needed. With linux, I swap the MB/CPU and reattach the disks and other
> cards. It boots and runs. Sue a few tweeks migh help for the new CPU
> type, but it's faster than before. Try that with M$-Windows. I'll bet
> you end up re installing the OS, and all your apps, before it runs
> reasonably stable.

This isn't too much to add to the discussion, but we just did
this very thing with a few PCs in the office this week. We were going
from P3 to AthlonXPs on ASUS nForce chipset motherboards. After
installing the MB/CPU/RAM on my RedHat 8.0 machine, I was up and running.
Two other guys with XP Professional got past the BIOS POST and then just
nothing. No output at all. One had the exact same Quantum HD I do, other
with a Seagate. The machines would boot off a CD fine (actually
booting from the RedHat SysAdmin Rescue CD I could see their ntfs partitions).
The XP Pro "repair" didn't make any difference. We had to copy their data
to another PC and reinstall XP Professional. Now, it may be a weird
incompatibility with the nForce, but it really sounds like a Windows boot
loader problem.

So the moral is, the generalized GNU/Linux way of doing things worked better.