Re: Re: kernel-headers rpm ?

Dear Florin Andrei,

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. ... In light of Mr. Thomas
Dodd's remarks which followed yours, I feel somehow obliged to comment.
For those of you tired with this thread, I request your acquiescing to its
continuance for a moment more - given that there are those like Riku and
Florin of like mind, I think it may be welcome if I try to provide some
perspective for the readership of this list.

...In the fall of 1977, if I recall correctly, I got my first PC - it was
a Commodore PET, 32Kb. (That's Personal Electronics Translator, for those
that don't know the acronym.) I was proud that it had 32 kilobytes of
dynamic RAM, along with a few 8k ROMs - REAL ROMS, not some compact disk!
- as a part of it's 64kb architecture. The thing ran, of all things,
Microsoft Basic as its operating system! Note that this was long before
Gate's "PC" deal with IBM... Of course, just as it is today with his later
products, there wasn't much real power left of the system after Gate's OS
got done with it, so "real" work required you to write a program and, in
those days, you did it with machine language - Motorola 6502. (I was
fortunate to have a really hot assembler.) While I was learning 6502, a
new magazine came out named Byte, and in its pages I got the idea to
create hardware for my new system. I went on to not only do the boring,
-yawn-, stuff like building my own 4 voice sound card, but also created -
as my most ambitious project for the PET - a bit-mapped vidio offering
individual bit controll over the whole screen - and added a half-dozen or
so zero insertion force ROM sockets along with the 16K of RAM involved.

Yeah, if you were any good, you created your own printed circuit boards
to your own design, wrote in assembler, hand-optimized your code down to
the machine cycle, and knew the memory map of your favorite OS like it was
the back of your hand. Back in those days, you _had_ to be a geek to use
the damned things. I know, I was there. And, let me tell you, it wasn't
always pretty.

But back in those days there was a real cachet to this nerdly activity -
it was OK because it was a true necessity of the activity. That fact made
the practitioners virtual magicians and wizards and everyone else a mere
mortal. And the mere mortals knew it. Make no mistake: The competent and
the incompetent had no problem recognizing each other. This is what has
created the, relative to other jobs, rather high pay for the wizards and
other magi of the computer trade which continues to this day and probably
which continues to benefit many on this e-list.

It was clear, though, to the good wizards of the realm, at least, that
theirs was a blessing and a curse; For all the good financial fortune it
appeared to bestow, technical difficulty and obfuscation limited ubiquity
of their craft, and that lack of ubiquity both benefited and burdened
them.

I should briefly add that mine has always been a role of de-mystifying,
information sharing and enabling to the benefit of non-wizards or would-be
wizards such that I have long held a keen interest in the concerns of the
newly indoctrinated, the newbies, if you will, of our craft.

Today, we have a fierce battle going on between the monster that has
consumed the greater part of the entire computer marketplace and an
alternative which is less than perfect but which has great merrit. We on
this list have, presumably, chosen our side. So, let us not forget we are
most likely bretheren of a sort... Let us keep some perspective about
each other, too.

Riku is arguing strongly for something which is vital: ease the critical
path to utility. It's as simple as that. The more easily new releases can
be generated, the more likely that they will be generated. The more
releases of software that are generated, the more likely it is that code
somebody needs actually exists already. ... The fewer burdens there are
between need and have, the more likely the burdens will be overcome and
thus the more likely the needs will be met. And the more peoples needs are
met, the more likely they are to use the system in question. Thus, it
directly follows that if in fact Riku's suggestion eases the path to
utility, it should be supported.

...Florin brings up another critical point: cacophony...

The sad news is that this has been the curse of the Unix world nearly from
the start and VERY sad to say, none of the leading practitioners seems to
have caught a clue that THEIR marching forward without unity has been and
remains harmful to THEIR cause. ...Historically, never mind the exact
details, the bottom line is that each Unix group has held monotheistic
religious views regarding _their_ denomination of Unix - primarily
"Berkeley", or "System V", and this monotheism been a major contributor to
a potentially strong effort being divided and conqured at the hands of
Microsoft. ... This is nothing new! It's been happening since, oh, '83 or
'85 at least. And the characteristic is that each group thinks that what
it's doing is right and best and is technically superior, or is too much
trouble to change - or whatever - and fail to realize the strength of
their numbers when joined with their natural peers instead of being
divided.

As if it wasn't painful enough to watch with "unix," to see it happening
all over again with "linux" is nearly too much to watch; Forgive me,
please: HEY YOU STUPID SHITHEADS, WAKE UP: SO LONG AS YOU MARCH OUT OF
STEP WITH YOUR FELLOW COMPATRIOTS YOU WILL CONTINUE TO BE CANNON FODDER
FOR YOUR ENEMY, MICROSOFT! ...That is to say, each of the divergent lines
of Linux are a curse on the whole effort. They need to remain as common as
possible where it counts most: kernel compatibility and installation
strategy.

Note that it's _incompatibility_ that kills things. A system that can
tolerate a dozen different ways to install things is OK, so long as
"the right thing," whatever that is, is done every time.... And that's
kinda hard to do with the Unix/Linux view, at least as it seems to me
today.

Look at an example: Windows lets you install a new network driver by going
to the network control panel, selecting the adaptor panel and hitting
"new", or, if you wish, you can run the software's setup.exe, which might
run "installsheild" or any of a half-dozen other installation middleware
solutions. Or, you can put a card in, boot the system and have it prompt
you! "Diversity" you might say - they all work in harmony. The user can
(since, what, W98?) delete any software package easily, too.

What have we on Linux?   ...

When Mr Dodds remarks, "Windows is definately not as easy as you make it
sound", he's really missing the mark by a wide margin. The first point is
that there are by now a lot of Windows versions out there and some are
much better than others, and secondly, yes, Windows really is that much
easier. Oh, the user may not know why, but on younger versions at least,
they can usually, nearly always, install "from scratch" and end up with a
useable system, without having to actually delete all their valuable
stuff.

Worse than thinking Windows is still as bad as it was in 1995, we get
comments like this, "Then she didn't READ the requirements before she
downloaded the file." Well hell, I'm what you might call one of the most
experienced people you'll ever find in computer science and _I_ don't want
to have to read the GDamed file either! The Goddamed thing should check
for whatever disaster might befall me and PREVENT IT on my behalf and then
maybe TELL ME what and why and suggest a remedy! READMEFIRST files are for
lazy programmers and/or thoughtless managers who are either too stupid or
don't know any better, or for people who do things for themselves - they
can be forgiven, I suppose. -sigh-

If there's any single comment in all this that bears burning into the grey
stuff you call a brain it's this: The instllation procedure on any system
is the single most critical aspect of that system because without a good
perception and satisfying experience of the human doing the work they will
NEVER be happy with whatever the hell it is that they installed. Give em a
smooth install and they will forgive many sins. Give them an awful install
and they will hate you forever. And when the installer is your end-user...
Look-out. YES, we intelligent people know the installation process is only
a few seconds pain for all the use software gives, but that's humans for
you! It's that perception thing! There are no computer problems, only
human ones. -sigh-

All that, or, _my_ perceptions could be just some dream I had one evening.
You'll have to figure that one out yourself. -shrug-

Regards,
Richard

--
Richard Troy, Chief Scientist