Re: How to get RedHat 8.0 to allow core dump files

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 10:55:17AM -0600, Dan Winslow wrote:
> I just would like to say, that this is an extremely ill-thought out change.
> It's a change to basic behavior thats been in place for years and years, and
> makes core files even MORE problematic for disk space as they don't
> overwrite each other. Is this a ReddHat change, or a linux kernel change? If
> RedHat came up with this, I think they are being extremely foolish.

Look in /etc/sysctl.conf:

# Controls whether core dumps will append the PID to the core filename.
# Useful for debugging multi-threaded applications.
kernel.core_uses_pid = 1

There is a patch to use a printf-like format string to specify the path and
name of the core file, so that you can place the core files anywhere you
like, and name them as you please.  See

	http://www.sinz.org/Michael.Sinz/Linux/

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky