Re: How to get RedHat 8.0 to allow core dump files

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:55:17 -0600
"Dan Winslow" <d.winslow@cox.net> wrote:

> I just would like to say, that this is an extremely ill-thought out
> change. It's a change to basic behavior thats been in place for years

...that I'm thankful for.

> and years, and makes core files even MORE problematic for disk space
> as they don't overwrite each other. Is this a ReddHat change, or a
> linux kernel change? If RedHat came up with this, I think they are
> being extremely foolish.

They are making core files for threaded programs useful.  One hopes that
in the future Linux threads will be able to share a core file and gdb
will be able to cope, but at least this way a core file from a threaded
program might actually show you the stack trace of the thread that died
instead of the last thread to exit normally.

Doug
--
kilpatds@oppositelock.org