apmd on a server.

Hi All,

I was just cleaning out my in-box from this list and stumbled across the
post (below) from July 10 that talks about apmd shutting down a network
interface and causing problems. This got me to thinking - yeah, dangerous,
I know!   -smile-

I've got a large number of RedHat systems we use as servers for various
purposes but I know that a large number of them aren't used most of the
time - they just sit there burning electricity. We need them to be
available 24/7, so we don't want to shut them down but heretofore we've
always left apmd off. The events for which they need to perform work are
always based upon network packets headed their way... If we could tolerate
the delay of a "wake", is there any power advantage - or perhaps disk
longevity advantage - to using apmd? Would the systems even notice the
network packets if they were in sleep mode?   ...Given the cost of power
in California these days, not to mention just reducing waste in general...

Your thoughts, please.

Thanks,
Richard

--