Re: apmd on a server.

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Richard Troy wrote:
> always based upon network packets headed their way... If we could tolerate
> the delay of a "wake", is there any power advantage - or perhaps disk
> longevity advantage - to using apmd?

Spinning up a drive over and over is the quickest way to destroy drives.

The biggest consumer of power in a PC setup is almost always the monitors.
Set everything up for DPMS and you'll save a lot of power, far more than
APM could ever save you.

If you *really* want to save power, you design servers from the beginning
by picking power efficient components, underclocking, etc.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]