Re: Re-Compiling the kernel.

Trevor Fraser wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm in the process of re-compiling the kernel, but I get to a point where
> there's an error.  These are the steps up to the error:
> # cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3

you forgot:
# cp configs/kernel-2.4.18-<arch>.config .config

> # make config (CONFIG_PCMCIA = no  to achieve a kernel without PCMCIA
> support)

Then use menuconfig to turn of PCMCIA and other options
that need it.
Doing just "make config" you have to turn on all the correct stuff
that the system needs. Best to start with the Red Hat config.

> # make dep
> # make clean
> # make bzImage
> # make modules
> # make modules_install  ( this is where the error appears)
> ln: when making multiple links, last argument must be a directory
> make: *** [_modinst_] Error 1
> #
>
> I read the man pages and it suggests that the directory it should
> "make_install" is /lib/modules/2.4.*/
> My new kernel will be called 2.4.18-3no-pcmcia-cs so I tried:

Did you edit the top level makefile (in /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3)
and change EXTRAVERSION to be -3no-pcmcia-cs ?
that's the correct way to change this.
Then all the files will be installed correctly in /boot and
/lib/modules.

Try it again and post the last 5 or so lines that lead to the error.

> # make modules_install /lib/modules/2.4.18-3no-pcmcia-cs/

make doesn't work like that :)

	-Thomas