Re: Not using Swap?

Thank you all for the responses (sorry it's taken me so long to get
back, I've been out of the office).

We tried the changes below and (doing a re-mkswap and upping the
priority)(we even did "mkswap -c" to check for disk errors) and so far
can't see any real change. 90% of the memory is used with 0% of swap.

Don't know what's up, but it's really weird.

Thanks for the responses though.

			- Matt

Timothy Writer wrote:
> P <xflys@carolina.net> writes:

>>>According to "man swapon", priority is a value between 0 and 32767.  I
>>>suspect -1 means the swap area isn't being used.  Did you mkswap(8) on it?
>>
>>It's interesting that I have the same observation on rh 7.3 ... whenever I've
>>observed my swap activity, it's always zero.
>

> Here's a RH 7.3 system with three swap areas:
>
>     Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
>     /dev/hda2                       partition       1048816 0       10
>     /dev/hdc2                       partition       1048816 0       10
>     /dev/sda2                       partition       1052216 65036   20
>
> And in /etc/fstab, I have:
>
>     /dev/hda2       swap                    swap    pri=10          0 0
>     /dev/hdc2       swap                    swap    pri=10          0 0
>     /dev/sda2       swap                    swap    pri=20          0 0
>

>>But, your question about executing "mkswap" implies that the user is
>>supposed to do this ... I don't understand that, since the swap is set up
>>during installation, and supposedly the boot script enables it every time
>>you start.
>

> Right.  The installation _should_ run mkswap on any partitions you configured
> as swap and add them to /etc/fstab with entries similar to those above.  The
> boot scripts run "swapon -a" which enables every swap partition listed in
> /etc/fstab.
>

>>Why is it necessary for a user to do "mkswap" and or "swapon" if the
>>installation went ok?
>

> Normally, it's not.  But it's possible something went wrong during the
> installation.  There's no harm in doing it yourself.  Try the following
> (as root):
>
>     # swapoff -a
>     # mkswap /dev/sda10
>
>     Now edit /etc/fstab to check and correct the swap entry
>     for /dev/sda10
>
>     # swapon -a
>
> Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Manager of Networking                           Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
TEL: (603) 448-4100 xt 5150                     USA
FAX: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner@COAT.COM