Re: Not using Swap?

On Friday 30 August 2002 07:42 pm, Timothy Writer wrote:
> Matt Fahrner <Matt.Fahrner@coat.com> writes:
> > Does anyone know why a Linux box that is low on memory would choose to
> > not use swap? We have a couple of RedHat linux boxes that seem to choose
> > to run out of memory before they'll use swap. They aren't even using the
> > same kernel.
> >

> > As an example, one of the boxes is RedHat 7.1 running a stock
> > "2.4.9-21smp" kernel. It's swap partition is:
> >

> >     Filename 	Type		Size	Used	Priority
> >     /dev/sda10      partition	1036152	4	-1
>
> According to "man swapon", priority is a value between 0 and 32767.  I
> suspect -1 means the swap area isn't being used.  Did you mkswap(8) on it?

It's interesting that I have the same observation on rh 7.3 ... whenever I've
observed my swap activity, it's always zero.  But, your question about
executing "mkswap" implies that the user is supposed to do this ... I don't
understand that, since the swap is set up during installation, and supposedly
the boot script enables it every time you start.  Why is it necessary for a
user to do "mkswap" and or "swapon" if the installation went ok?