Not using Swap?

Does anyone know why a Linux box that is low on memory would choose to
  not use swap? We have a couple of RedHat linux boxes that seem to
choose to run out of memory before they'll use swap. They aren't even
using the same kernel.

As an example, one of the boxes is RedHat 7.1 running a stock
"2.4.9-21smp" kernel. It's swap partition is:

    Filename 	Type		Size	Used	Priority
    /dev/sda10      partition	1036152	4	-1

and it it basically never really has anything real go to it. The main
application is SAMBA (and the one that usually drives the "out of
memory" situation).

Even running multiple instances of Netscape and letting them go idle
doesn't seem to drive up swap.

Is there something we're not enabling or something we're missing?
Other boxes we use (like for instance the desktop I'm writing from)
seem to use swap judiciously.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks,

			- Matt

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Manager of Networking                           Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
TEL: (603) 448-4100 xt 5150                     USA
FAX: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner@COAT.COM