Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:43:18 -0400 (EDT), James Olin Oden
<joden@lee.k12.nc.us> wrote:

>Right.  I was thinking about that, also.  I am not sure what one should
>do in that case.  I almost want to say assume the package being installed
>is newest...almost.

Unfortunately one is not always installing a package. For example a
(semi-)automatic update tool might just be checking if a particular version
is newer.

> That problem gets even worse when you allow arbitrary
>functions that compare versions.  I would guess that the problem would
>not occur fairly often, though.  When this occurs, perhaps --force would be
>the appropriate thing to do.

Well, --force (or --oldpackage, which I think is not always implied by
--force for some reason) is always a fix for the problem, but a solution
that gets away from this would be nice.

>On the other hand if tommorow Perl went to
>an integer versioning scheme you could have a real mess...sigh.

I think translation of version numbers is the best option, but to do it for
perl stuff would require Redhat to agree with me, or a lot of work on my
part.

Ganesh