Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 09:26:22 -0400 (EDT), James Olin Oden
> <joden@lee.k12.nc.us> wrote:
>
> >This could be extended further such that a rpm could provide a function
> >that comparies versions (kind of like passing a function to the sort
> >routines that understands how to discern the magnitude of the objects
> >to be sorted).  This is a completely rough idea (i.e. there are many
> >details to be worked out), but it seems feasible to the naive (-;
> >
> >Anyway, what do you think (you being anyone that cares)?
>
> I've thought about this before. The biggest problem I see is what do you do
> when two packages specify different functions? E.g. foo version 1.05
> specifies integer comparisons and foo version 1.3 specifies floating point
> comparisons.
Right.  I was thinking about that, also.  I am not sure what one should
do in that case.  I almost want to say assume the package being installed
is newest...almost.  That problem gets even worse when you allow arbitrary
functions that compare versions.  I would guess that the problem would
not occur fairly often, though.  When this occurs, perhaps --force would be
the appropriate thing to do.  On the other hand if tommorow Perl went to
an integer versioning scheme you could have a real mess...sigh.

...james