Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:18:05 +0800, John <valhalla@computerdatasafe.com.au>
wrote:

>On Monday 02 September 2002 12:07, Chip Turner wrote:
>> That's strictly opinion.  The people (including non-Red Hat employees)
>> that work deeply with RPM daily don't really agree with your opinion.
>>

>> RPM treats version components as integers, not floating point
>> numbers.  That's the core of it.  So:
>
>I know, people have already said that. However, it yields results that are
>clearly wrong. Nobody would think version 0.001 was the same as version 0.1.

Unfortunately RPM has to deal with (at least) two sets of conflicting
schemes. Most software (e.g. the kernel) would have that 1.3 < 1.20 < 1.101,
but with perl modules this ordering is exactly reversed. Therefore there is
no algorithm

>Therefore a better way is needed. If necessary, tighten the rules about what
>versions are allowed, and maybe rules for transforming non-compliant versions
>already chosen by developers to versions that can be compared.

I think the current way is fine, but perl module versions need a
transformation, as I've suggested earlier.

Ganesh