RPM and Stoopid versioning schemes

OK, I threw the bait out, and lot of folks have chimed in, so I know that I
am not the only one frustrated here....

CONTEXT:  All rpm builds are controlled by the .spec file.  If versioning is
weird, it's weirdness is specific, and on a per-package basis.

SUGGESTION:

Build a framework (macro?) in RPM to allow the packager to specify that THIS
packages versions increment THIS way (like an enumeration type variable in
ADA).

Unless I'm missing something, problem over....

AL