Re: fonts

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 06:45, Bob Tennent wrote:

> Putting :unscaled font directories first, followed by outline-font
> directories, followed by (scaling) bitmap font directories in the font
> path will improve rendering. I have no idea what comes out of the box

Speaking of that, i have a little annoying problem.
It's small indeed, but annoying also.

With RH 7.2, gnome-terminal could be configured regarding the fonts so
that the size of the default 80x25 window was almost exactly 1/4 of the
size of my 1024x768 screen. That allowed me to have 4 non-overlapping
non-resized terminals, or 2 non-overlapping vertically maximized ones.
I'm not sure if that was the default font in 7.2 terminal, or if it
needed a small amount of tweaking.

Anyway, in 7.3, by default the terminal is slightly bigger (because the
font has larger characters). If i copy/paste the gnome-terminal
configuration from 7.2, nothing changes. If i start tweaking it, and
picking odd fonts and font sizes, i get all kind of weird looking
terminals, but nothing matches the old behaviour: a terminal that's 1/4
of my screen.
And believe me, i spent like hours tweaking it.

Now, the font packages that i installed are pretty much the same on 7.2
and 7.3
The font list looks quite unchaged to me (but maybe that's just me).

So, yeah, go ahead and laugh, but this thing puzzles me a great deal.
It's a minor problem, but i guess it's an example of how small changes
in the fonts list can change the applications' appearence a lot.

--
Florin Andrei

"If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, then you will be
hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked." -
 - Richard Clarke, president Bush's advisor on cybersecurity