Re: Build/Development environments...

> > Have you looked at UML  (User Mode Linux)
> >
> No I haven't but that is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.
> Not that its the perfect soultion necessarily (I still have to play
> with it), but I needed some advice from out side the box I was
> thinking in (-:
> > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > With it, you create a series of independent virtual Linux boxes.
> >
> The only issue with that is how well it scales.  Also, I quickly did

Fairly well I should think. Code runs at full speed.
> look at it and it looks like you have to provide a file per environment
> (i.e. representing the HD).  I bet you could have that file live on a NFS
> mount, but again I wonder how it would perform.  Must read some more, and
> test.

You could have it on NFS, but I wouldn't. Unless you have a pretty fast network,
you get a slow disk drive.

You can share the base filesystem, there's a feature called COW that results in
each virtual machine writing changes to its own "overflow" area.

I personally think it's a cow of an idea, I cannot see how you can upgrade the
base filesystem, so you will want to approach that with some caution.

However, you can share filesystems that are read-only with no problem, and you
can give each guest read-write access to the host's filesystem.

> > Conceptually, even kernel panics are kept isolated to their own virtual box
> .
> >
> Which sounds's great for some of our device driver work.

People use it for that.
--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!