Re: Build/Development environments...

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, James Olin Oden wrote:

> > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > With it, you create a series of independent virtual Linux boxes.
> >
> The only issue with that is how well it scales.

I wouldn't use it for a build environment if speed is important.  :-(
There's a pretty big performance hit for using it.  Other than that,
it's very spiffy.

> Also, I quickly did
> look at it and it looks like you have to provide a file per environment
> (i.e. representing the HD).  I bet you could have that file live on a NFS
> mount, but again I wonder how it would perform.  Must read some more, and
> test.

Check out the "hostfs" feature.  This allows you to mount a directory from
the host machine under the UML instance's filesystem.

--
Kelley Spoon                                        Main: 210-892-4000
Rackspace Managed Hosting                            Fax: 210-892-4329