Re: Detecting number of Physical CPUs in Intel Hyperthreaded CPU

> processors=`egrep -c ^cpu[0-9]+ /proc/stat || :`
> >>>
> 	I don't believe this works.  It simply tells me how many logical
> processors I have on my machine, i.e. it yields 4 opposed to 2.
>
> 	Does anyone know the current state of hyper-threading support for
> Linux?  I've heard that kernel 2.4.19 will contain some extra patches to
> help with hyper-threading support.  Currently we are testing kernels 2.4.7,
> 2.4.16, and 2.4.18 with hyper-threading enabled.  I've noticed that
> performance is horrible for 2.4.7, and it appears to be poor for 2.4.16 and
> 2.4.18 too.  Are there any issues that exist with correctly enabling
> hyper-threading?

Hi John,

At my job we have been working with the 2.4.18 series of kernels, and have
found with that with hyper threading turned on things get _really_ slow.
Unfortunately, I don't know enough about hyperthreading to even begin
to know where the problem is.  Presently, we are simply turning it off.

...james