RE: Detecting number of Physical CPUs in Intel Hyperthreaded CPU systems

  Pasted below is the code from Intel to determine the number of
physical CPUs on a Windows System.  The affinity stuff looks like the
only non portable code.
  Short of hacking the Kernel to expose the information it looks like I
am out of luck.

Thanks,

Ken

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------
//
// Copyright C 2001, Intel Corporation . Other brands and names may be
claimed as the property of others.
//
//
// CPU Counting Utility
// Date   : 10/30/2001
// Version: 1.4
//
//
//
// File Name: CPUCount.cpp
//
// Note: 1) LogicalNum = Number of logical processors per PHYSICAL
PROCESSOR.  If you want to count
//       the total number of logical processors, multiply this number
with the total number of
//       physical processors (PhysicalNum)
//
//       2) To detect whether hyper-threading is enabled or not is to
see how many logical ID exist
//       per single physical ID in APIC
//
//       3) For systems that don't support hyper-threading like AMD or
PIII and below. the variable
//       LogicalNum will be set to 1 (which means number of logical
processors equals to number of
//       physical processors.)
//
//       4) Hyper-threading cannot be detected when application cannot
access all processors in
//       the system. The number of physical processors will be set to
255.  Make sure to enable ALL
//       physical processors at startup of windows, and applications
calling this function, CPUCount,
//       are NOT restricted to run on any particular logical or physical
processors(can run on ALL
//       processors.)
//
//       5) Windows currently can handle up to 32 processors.
//
//
//----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------

#define HT_BIT             0x10000000     // EDX[28]  Bit 28 is set if
HT is supported
#define FAMILY_ID          0x0F00         // EAX[11:8] Bit 8-11 contains
family processor ID.
#define PENTIUM4_ID        0x0F00
#define EXT_FAMILY_ID      0x0F00000      // EAX[23:20] Bit 20-23
contains extended family processor ID
#define NUM_LOGICAL_BITS   0x00FF0000     // EBX[23:16] Bit 16-23 in ebx
contains the number of logical
                                          // processors per physical
processor when execute cpuid with
                                          // eax set to 1

#define INITIAL_APIC_ID_BITS  0xFF000000  // EBX[31:24] Bits 24-31 (8
bits) return the 8-bit unique
                                          // initial APIC ID for the
processor this code is running on.
                                          // Default value = 0xff if HT
is not supported

// Status Flag
#define HT_NOT_CAPABLE           0
#define HT_ENABLED               1
#define HT_DISABLED              2
#define HT_SUPPORTED_NOT_ENABLED 3
#define HT_CANNOT_DETECT         4

unsigned int  HTSupported(void);
unsigned char LogicalProcPerPhysicalProc(void);
unsigned char GetAPIC_ID(void);
unsigned char CPUCount(unsigned char *,
					   unsigned char *);

#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

void main(void)
{

   unsigned char LogicalNum   = 0,  // Number of logical CPU per ONE
PHYSICAL CPU
                 PhysicalNum  = 0,  // Total number of physical
processor

				 HTStatusFlag = 0;

   printf("CPU Counting Utility\n");
   printf("Version 1.4\n");
   printf("Copyright (C) 2001 Intel Corporation.  All Rights
Reserved\n\n");

   HTStatusFlag = CPUCount(&LogicalNum, &PhysicalNum);

   switch(HTStatusFlag)
   {
   case HT_NOT_CAPABLE:
	   printf("Hyper-threading technology not capable\n");
	   break;

   case HT_DISABLED:
	   printf("Hyper-threading technology disabled\n");
	   break;

   case HT_ENABLED:
	   printf("Hyper-threading technology enabled\n");
	   break;

   case HT_SUPPORTED_NOT_ENABLED:
	   printf("Hyper-threading technology capable but not
enabled\n");
	   break;

   case HT_CANNOT_DETECT:
	   printf("Hyper-threading technology cannot be detected\n");
	   break;

   }

   printf("Number of logical processors per physical processor: %d\n",
LogicalNum);

   if (PhysicalNum != (unsigned char)-1)
      printf("Number of physical processors: %d\n", PhysicalNum);
   else
   {
	  printf("Can't determine number of physical processors\n");
      printf("Make sure to enable ALL processors\n");
   }

   printf("\n\nPress Enter To Continue\n");
   getchar();
}

unsigned int HTSupported(void)
{

	unsigned int Regedx      = 0,
		         Regeax      = 0,
		         VendorId[3] = {0, 0, 0};

	__try    // Verify cpuid instruction is supported
	{
		__asm
		{
			xor eax, eax          // call cpuid with eax = 0
        	cpuid                 // Get vendor id string
			mov VendorId, ebx
			mov VendorId + 4, edx
			mov VendorId + 8, ecx

			mov eax, 1            // call cpuid with eax = 1
			cpuid
			mov Regeax, eax      // eax contains family
processor type
			mov Regedx, edx      // edx has info about the
availability of hyper-Threading

		}
	}

	__except (EXCEPTION_EXECUTE_HANDLER)
	{
		return(0);                   // cpuid is unavailable
	}

    if (((Regeax & FAMILY_ID) ==  PENTIUM4_ID) ||
		(Regeax & EXT_FAMILY_ID))
	  if (VendorId[0] == 'uneG')
		if (VendorId[1] == 'Ieni')
			if (VendorId[2] == 'letn')
				return(Regedx & HT_BIT);    // Genuine
Intel with hyper-Threading technology

	return 0;    // Not genuine Intel processor

}

unsigned char LogicalProcPerPhysicalProc(void)
{

	unsigned int Regebx = 0;
	if (!HTSupported()) return (unsigned char) 1;  // HT not
supported
	                                               // Logical
processor = 1
	__asm
	{
		mov eax, 1
		cpuid
		mov Regebx, ebx
	}

	return (unsigned char) ((Regebx & NUM_LOGICAL_BITS) >> 16);

}

unsigned char GetAPIC_ID(void)
{

	unsigned int Regebx = 0;
	if (!HTSupported()) return (unsigned char) -1;  // HT not
supported
	                                                // Logical
processor = 1
	__asm
	{
		mov eax, 1
		cpuid
		mov Regebx, ebx
	}

	return (unsigned char) ((Regebx & INITIAL_APIC_ID_BITS) >> 24);

}

unsigned char CPUCount(unsigned char *LogicalNum,
					   unsigned char *PhysicalNum)
{
	unsigned char StatusFlag  = 0;
    SYSTEM_INFO info;

    *PhysicalNum = 0;
	*LogicalNum  = 0;
    info.dwNumberOfProcessors = 0;
    GetSystemInfo (&info);

	// Number of physical processors in a non-Intel system
	// or in a 32-bit Intel system with Hyper-Threading technology
disabled
    *PhysicalNum = (unsigned char) info.dwNumberOfProcessors;

    if (HTSupported())
	{
		unsigned char HT_Enabled = 0;

        *LogicalNum= LogicalProcPerPhysicalProc();

		if (*LogicalNum >= 1)    // >1 Doesn't mean HT is
enabled in the BIOS
			                     //
		{
            HANDLE hCurrentProcessHandle;
			DWORD  dwProcessAffinity;
			DWORD  dwSystemAffinity;
			DWORD  dwAffinityMask;

			// Calculate the appropriate  shifts and mask
based on the
			// number of logical processors.

			unsigned char i = 1,
				          PHY_ID_MASK  = 0xFF,
			              PHY_ID_SHIFT = 0;

			while (i < *LogicalNum)
			{
				i *= 2;
 	            PHY_ID_MASK  <<= 1;
	            PHY_ID_SHIFT++;

			}

			hCurrentProcessHandle = GetCurrentProcess();
			GetProcessAffinityMask(hCurrentProcessHandle,
&dwProcessAffinity,

&dwSystemAffinity);

			// Check if available process affinity mask is
equal to the
			// available system affinity mask
            if (dwProcessAffinity != dwSystemAffinity)
			{
                StatusFlag = HT_CANNOT_DETECT;
				*PhysicalNum = (unsigned char)-1;
				return StatusFlag;
			}
			   dwAffinityMask = 1;
			   while (dwAffinityMask != 0 && dwAffinityMask
<= dwProcessAffinity)
			   {
			  	  // Check if this CPU is available
				  if (dwAffinityMask &
dwProcessAffinity)
				  {
                     if (SetProcessAffinityMask(hCurrentProcessHandle,

dwAffinityMask))
					 {
						 unsigned char APIC_ID,

LOG_ID,

PHY_ID;

						 Sleep(0); // Give OS
time to switch CPU

                         APIC_ID = GetAPIC_ID();
						 LOG_ID  = APIC_ID &
~PHY_ID_MASK;
						 PHY_ID  = APIC_ID >>
PHY_ID_SHIFT;

     					 if (LOG_ID != 0)  HT_Enabled =
1;

					 }

				  }

				  dwAffinityMask = dwAffinityMask << 1;

			   }

			// Reset the processor affinity
			 SetProcessAffinityMask(hCurrentProcessHandle,
dwProcessAffinity);

			if (*LogicalNum == 1)  // Normal P4 : HT is
disabled in hardware
			   	StatusFlag = HT_DISABLED;

			else
				if (HT_Enabled)
				{
                     // Total physical processors in a Hyper-Threading
enabled system.
		             *PhysicalNum /= (*LogicalNum);
			   	     StatusFlag = HT_ENABLED;
				}
				else StatusFlag =
HT_SUPPORTED_NOT_ENABLED;

		}

	}
	else
	{
		// Processors do not have Hyper-Threading technology
		StatusFlag = HT_NOT_CAPABLE;
        *LogicalNum = 1;

	}
	return StatusFlag;