Re: Frozen device registry --- why?

On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 19:05, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
> Would someone tell me why Linus asked that the device registry be
> frozen? Don't new devices require new device number allocations?

Apparently the proliferation of device numbers is found unacceptable - I
would guess that by the time 2.6 comes out everything would have shifted
to using DevFS anyway.

The alternative would be to start using 32-bit major+minor numbers... or
tinker with the number of bits assigned to the major and minor
components.

Regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim