Re: Project Management

summer@os2.ami.com.au said:
>  opensched looks (I've not actually tried running it yet) the most
> complete.  However, it does need a GUI. If someone feels the urge to
> write a GUI that  doesn't do much, this is a good place to start - the
> guts of the application are  in place. The TODO list suggests a
> browser interface using CGI. Sounds good to  me; I also suggest that
> tbe browser interface be implemented as a java applet.  The project
> description is a fairly simple text file - editing it in the browser
> and then sending it back sounds terrific to me. Reports are generated
> using  ?roff and LaText and stuff - it needs some updating to take
> account of newer  supporting software.

> It has a few nice features - Tasks can depend on one another Can
> allocate tasks to resources Can have virtual resources (eg a team of
> people).

> It has example projects, but uses fairly meaningless names - res1,
> res2 etc for  resources. An example of a project of painting a house
> might work better - some  tasks (sanding) need to be done before
> others (applying paint) start, some  people (apprentices) take longer
> than others etc.

Don't know what I was on - there's a perfectly adequate sample. Here's part of
it:
# starting date for project
startdate 1998 10 28

# how to print dates?
dateformat calendar
# alternate formats raw, count, iso

# This file will be used to produce the following output:
#textreport    sample_tasks.txt
#texreport     sample_tasks.tex
htmlreport     sample_tasks.html

show_resource_notes
show_task_notes
show_dependencies
show_vacations

weekly_html    sample_weekly.html
monthly_html   sample_monthly.html
slippage_html  sample_slippage.html

# weekly_txt    sample_weekly.txt
# monthly_txt   sample_monthly.txt
# slippage_txt  sample_slippage.txt

printtaskdays
hardschedule  sample_hard.sched
utilgraph     sample_util.eps

# Print task graphs.  Be sure to never ask for a weekend as start/stop!
tg_sortbyresource
taskgraph  1998.Oct.28 1998.Dec.31 sample_gantt_1.eps

network  0 100 sample_network_1.eps
start_nety 2
finish_nety 2

# who's working on the project?
resource idan      "Idan Shoham"
resource joe       "Joe Programmer"
resource mike      "Mike Hacker"
resource jane      "Jane Debugger"

resource_note idan "Idan wrote this silly program"
resource_note idan "Notes can be added anywhere in the scheduler source"
resource_note idan "Hmm.  Nothing much to say"

# christmas holidays, 1998:
vacation "*"       1998.Dec.24 1999.Jan.01

task oracle_install "Install Oracle server" 1
describe oracle_install "Setup a DBMS server at the office"
candidate oracle_install idan

and so it goes.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!