Re: Project Management

paulhamm@OpenRatings.com said:
> yields this site http://linas.org/linux/pm.html

I've downloaded several, inspected three.

mrproject is the only one of those being actively developed now. It's got a nice
GUI, but it's a bit limited. Doesn't understand that some tasks must complete
before others begin.

qtgantt doesn't compile. However, that was easily fixed, but then I was offered
a form with no labels on its fields.

It has a preferences dialog - invoking it results in a segfault. I've deleted it.

opensched looks (I've not actually tried running it yet) the most complete.
However, it does need a GUI. If someone feels the urge to write a GUI that
doesn't do much, this is a good place to start - the guts of the application are
in place. The TODO list suggests a browser interface using CGI. Sounds good to
me; I also suggest that tbe browser interface be implemented as a java applet.
The project description is a fairly simple text file - editing it in the browser
and then sending it back sounds terrific to me. Reports are generated using
?roff and LaText and stuff - it needs some updating to take account of newer
supporting software.

It has a few nice features -
Tasks can depend on one another
Can allocate tasks to resources
Can have virtual resources (eg a team of people).

It has example projects, but uses fairly meaningless names - res1, res2 etc for
resources. An example of a project of painting a house might work better - some
tasks (sanding) need to be done before others (applying paint) start, some
people (apprentices) take longer than others etc.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!