Re: Altering the MANPATH in RPM

James Olin Oden wrote:

><- SNIP ->
>
>>IMHO, best way I can think would be to enhance GNU man to
>>support include directory, like xinetd with /etc/xinetd.d,
>>logrotate with /etc/logrotate.d etc.
>>
>>Thus patch it use /etc/man.config.d if it already doesn't
>>and contrib to project :)

I like the man.config.d idea, but I think gnu-man has a solution already
in place.

In the man(1) page MANPATH_MAP and the NOAUTOPATH control the
automatic construction of MANPATH.

if NOAUTOPATH is not set in /etc/man.config then it can be autocreated.

so If PATH=/opt/foo/bin
man will auto search /opt/foo/man

I just tested this with man-1.5j-6 (in skipjack)
and /etc/man.config is the Red Hat default.

So the package needs to drop a file in /etc/profile.d
that sets the executable path to /opt/foo/bin
and man will aututomatically add /opt/foo/man
to the MANPATH. It will also look for /opt/foo/bin/man
if you don't want seperate bin and man dirs for each package.

I losty the exact layout you wanted to use, but I think these
options should do what you need.

    -Thomas