Altering the MANPATH in RPM

<- SNIP ->
> IMHO, best way I can think would be to enhance GNU man to
> support include directory, like xinetd with /etc/xinetd.d,
> logrotate with /etc/logrotate.d etc.
>
> Thus patch it use /etc/man.config.d if it already doesn't
> and contrib to project :)

Actually, I do think that idea is better now that I think about, 'cause
what I was suggesting was really a distribution level hack/workaround to
a problem endemic to gnuman.  I think I have achieved what I sent the
original email...better insight than my own.

> > > esac
> > >
> > Nice code, but it assumes that you know what should be on the system before
> > you alter things (at least thast was my cursory reading).  At best you could
> > get it tuned to a particular release of a distribution, but as soon as the
> > maintaineers of the distribution alter man.config or the sysadmin does
> > all bets are off.
> >

> See my suggestion of /etc/man.config.d above.
>
> The code was just simple example how to edit PATH style
> variables preserving portability. Not 1:1 solution to
> your answer. Sorry if I wasn't clear on it.

I understand now.

> I'm often more on design than a straight forward solution,
> but you are right GNU man does not support /opt/*/man well,
> hey that could be another way, enhance the GNU man to support
> wildcards with glob() ... something like this

I like that idea also.  If it is a security problem in a particular
environment, it could be turned off.  Really, it could be turned off by
default, and then if someone needed it it could be turned on.  For
packagers thought the /etc/man.config.d would probably be for the best, but
for a sysamdin the globbing approach would probably be best.

<- SNIP ->
> Right OT, but the HP-UX root shell is a /sbin/sh, which is
> *statically linked* POSIX shell, I don't see any problem
> with that :)
>
> The /bin/sh is the dynamically linked POSIX shell like the
> /usr/bin/ksh (Version M-11/16/88i) is the Korn 88 shell,
> and  /usr/dt/bin/dtksh (Version M-12/28/93d) aka Korn 93
> shell.
>
> I just wish that Sun would follow HP and replace /sbin/sh
> with *real* POSIX compatible shell on Solaris 9, another
So do I!  Heck, I would even be satisfied with ksh (which supports
the [[ ]], but better yet it suports $( command ), and $(( expr )) math.
Or just make it bash (-;

Cheers...james