Where do the latest GNOME sources come from?

 I've been poking around the GNOME CVS and trying to build my own
updates of the various libgnome, etc. packages, and have made a little
progress, including actually getting a couple to compile ...

 Something that's puzzling me is the origin of the source tarballs in
the source RPMs for these packages.  Even the CVS HEAD is setting only
a three-element version number when you does a "make dist" yet the ones
in the source RPMs have numbers like 1.108.0.90.something, and there is
no CVS tag AFAICS for such versions.  Are they arbitrarily assigned in
the quest for sensible version numbers for the packages, or can someone
enlighten me?

 Please forgive me if I've missed something obvious, I spent a lot of
time picking through Makfile.am's and cvs log output and my eyes are
tired :o)

--
/* Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, ebOne, formerly GTS Netcom */
#include "stddiscl.h"