large files?

I think it would be safe to say its a work in progress. Even if the
32bit kernel can accept 64bit seek pointers ( and return same ), you
still have lots of legacy programs that know not ( or care not ) of
anything besides int32 file pointers. There are just not a whole lot of
programs that do things >than 2gigs. Let alone test to see that it does
in fact work on files >2gig in an int32 environment. ie copy ( or mv/cp
) may not care about file position pointers, but samba might ( probably
likely )  use it.

How can you tell ? ask the samba folks if it can do files >2gigs and
under what circumstances ( Intel ie RH7.2 and above. Linux 2.4.XX with
glibc Y.X.Z. Compaq Alpha computer with RH6.1. ...). If they say no, we
are not ready, then it does not matter what linux kernel you have to
play with.