large files?

terry barnum <terry@dop.com> writes:

> What prompted my hypothetical system question is I'm in the process of
> specing out a new file server and I thought maybe someone here would
> know if the setup would overcome the 2 gig limit I'm experiencing with
> our current server.
>
> The setup with the 2 gig barrier is running RH 6.1 (2.2) on a Pentium
> box with Samba 2.05a with software RAID tools serving ~100 gigs of
> drive space. Attempts to copy files larger than 2 gigs fail. I
> couldn't find documentation on the Red Hat or Samba sites to determine
> the cause.

RHL 6.1 does not support big files. Enterprise editions of Red Hat
Linux 6.2 do, as do Red hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2 (I don't remember RHL 7
- the glibc side is ready, I'm not sure whether the kernel supports it
or not).

> So is everyone saying that, except for some applications not
> programmed to deal with large files, RH7.2 on a dual pentium box
> running Samba should be able to deal with and serve files larger than
> 2 gigs? That it's basically a 2.4 kernel thing?

2.4 kernel, 2.2 glibc (or patches for both) + compilation flags.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.