When does one need a "real server?"

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, John Summerfield wrote:

> Assuming 100 Mbit LAN, how does one decide whether one needs an
> expensive server with high-performance SCSI? What are the guidelines?
>
> Given a basic contemporary Celeron with a recent ATA-100 disk drive
> performing at (according to hdparm) 30 Mbytes/sec or better, it seems
> certain to me that the LAN is slower than the drives.

The result from hdparm is not a good indication for a file server as it
comes from a _linear_ read. This was already mentioned in the thread about
file systems, but I will repeat and extend it here: for a multiuser system
(or a file server which acts on behalf of several users at the same time),
several files are open at the same time and different places on the disk
are accessed, so a good "seek time" is also important. Depending on the
amount of intelligence for ordering these operations on the disk
controller or in software (OS), the impact of "seek time" can vary.
Another important factor is the amount of cache (both at OS level and
on the controller) and the way it is used - that's why Western Digital
introduced an 8 MB cache (instead of industry standard 2 MB) on some of
its higher end IDE disks and typically hardware RAID controllers have some
16-128 MB cache.

> For that matter, any hints for just how many clients such a basic
> server can support? Yes, I know, "It depends." What do I need to know
> and measure to be sure of putting in a box that "will do the job?"

Tools like bonnie and iozone can give you a better view about what you can
expect from your disk; they operate at a higher level than hdparm, so the
results include the influence of the file system - usually that's what you
want as the file system (and not the raw disk) is exported.

The next step is to run them on the clients (or a Windows equivalent,
don't ask me for references :-)) and watch the server. You can measure the
network usage (f.e iptraf) and see if the network usage comes close to the
maximum; if that's the case, then the network is probably the bottleneck
and your disk subsystem is good enough. If not...

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De