Better File systems? Was Re: XFS - here's the solution

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:41:36 -0700
Kort E Patterson <kort@overalltech.net> wrote:

> "Ronald W. Heiby" wrote:
> >
> > Wednesday, April 17, 2002, 11:26:11 AM, Richard wrote:
> > > Please note that in my experience, ext3 doesn't work. When I upgraded my
> > > systems from RH 6.2 to 7.2, I tried to tell it to use ext3, the default,
> > > on several systems and each time was rewarded with a system that
> > > wouldn't boot. (I don't recall just what the errors were,
> > > unfortunately.)
> >
> > I had a related problem. I did a full install on a system which
> > installed ext3 filesystems by default. The system booted and ran just
> > fine. Because I wanted to use Partition Magic to resize partitions,
> > and it does not yet know about ext3, I converted all of the partitions
> > to ext2. The system refused to boot with a message (which I did not
> > write down) that implied that it was objecting to the root filesystem
> > no longer being an ext3 filesystem. For various reasons, we did a full
> > reinstall, so I do not know what a "kinder, gentler" fix might be.
> >
> > Ron.
>
> I had problems when I first tried ext3 - until I figured out
> (possibly read on this list) that the kernel I was trying to use
> had ext3 support compiled as a module.  The kernel was trying to
> load the ext3 module off an ext3 file system it needed the module
> to read...
>
> The solution was easy.  Simply compile ext3 - and any other
> filesystem you might want the kernel to boot from - directly into
> the kernel.

NO, ext3 can be read from an ext2-only kernel.   The problem of the
user is probably that the fstab is still referring as an ext3 system.

I never had problems going from ex2 to ext3 but either you let the
RH installer do the job or yoiu have to know what you arfe doing.

For compiling filesystems in the kernel that is useless: build a
proper initrd file instead.

						JFM